Saturday, September 09, 2006

An Adventure

Our second day of vacation was long, but interesting. Amy dropped us off at the Caltrain station near her work and we headed into San Francisco shortly before 10. It is a good hour to get there, but it didn't cut into our sightseeing time too much.

We headed right over to the California Academy of Science. They are currently under construction over at the Golden Gate location, so they had a temporary musuem set up on Howard in the interim. The museum contained both the Steinhart Aquarium and the Natural History Museum. I a big fan of museums of any kind, but I think this was the first time I really took my time at each display. Both were excellent.

After the museum we made the long trek up & down the hills to the wharf. We first headed to Ghiradelli Square to pick up some of the most amazing chocolate I have ever had. The chocolate must be worth it for someone like me (who doesn't really like chocolate) to go to the trouble of getting some. Plus, my best friends fiancee in Calgary demanded we get some for him. I think we spoiled him a little too much last year when we came back from San Francisco. We also stopped for lunch at Lori's Diner while at the square.

The Wax Museum sounded like a good attraction to take in, so we headed over to the centre of Fisherman's Wharf and took in the museum. Not only did we get to view the wax figures, but some displays had audio commentaries. The one and only other wax museum we have been to was in Victoria, BC. I don't remember too much, but this one was a lot more American (of course it would be, it is America). American's are quite patriotic.

Our final stop on the Wharf was the Candy Baron. Jeff wanted to pick up another jawbreaker; like the one he got last year. It's huge; almost the size of a baseball. I remember him eating it last year. I swear it took him a month, and I found it in various parts of the house. Weird.

Once we were done at the Wharf we jumped on a bus to the Caltrain station, and then waited for the 6:14 to San Jose. Simple enough, right? WRONG! We had called Amy to let here know when and where we needed to be picked up. Simple enough. WRONG! Once on the train we found out that there was a stalled train up ahead, and our eta to the various stops ahead of us was unknown. Great! We managed to get to San Mateo, a stop the wasn't one of our original scheduled stops. This stop allowed some passengers to get off and stretch their legs while we wait for more information on the status of the stalled train and how our train was going to maneuver around it. We had been on for some time already, and I knew Amy would be waiting, so I got off to give her a call and find out what she wanted us to do. Get off at Mateo or stay on the train? Well, as I talking to Amy, the train decided to leave. I hung up and quickly ran over train. Alas, they wouldn't let me in. There goes my train and Jeff. Poor Jeff... After much swearing, and some begging for money, I managed to call Amy again. We decided I should get on the next train and they would wait for me at San Jose. I arrived in San Jose in tact, approximately 15 minutes after Jeff. He got a big hug, and an apology. I really didn't mean to abandon him.

Although the night was fairly late, it wasn't a total lose. Before going home, we headed to BevMo, the greatest store in the world. If you are having a party, everything you need is right there. Super cool! We ate some delicious talapia that Amy prepared, and I whipped up my Chili Cheese Dip. We played games, and watched another bizarre, yet totally cool show, Robot Chicken. Oh, and of course, drank beer.

It was an adventurous day!

No comments: