Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Friends, Family, Fun...and a little sadness

The last week and a half as been a bit of a whirlwind.  Today is the first day that I feel back to normal and back into our regular routine.

My BFF came to visit over a week ago.  She spent 5 days here visiting before I took her to Toon Town where her family lives.  It was a fun filled 5 days full of laughter, reminiscing, eating, drinking (I only had 1 beer) and shopping.  It had been 1 year since I had last seen her, and she was anxious to meet Master K.  Luckily, I will see her a couple more times this summer, so I'm looking forward to that.

My visit in Toon Town was short and full of mixed emotions.  My Gramma had a stroke a few days before my visit, so I guess it turned out well that I has coming to town. I visited with lots of family that I hadn't seen in a while, and Master K got to meet some new cousins and aunts/uncles.

It was hard to see my Gramma, although I kept it together pretty well, considering.  I just didn't want her to see me tear up.  I've always been really close with my Gramma, and we've always done a lot together.  It's one of the relationships I miss the most since moving away.  My Gramma has always been a doer, and until the stroke lived on her own in a seniors apartment building, baked, cooked and pretty much took care of herself.  Now, she will need constant care.  I know this is not something she wants.  Were not sure how long she will be with us.  She has lost the ability to move her right leg and arm, and cannot speak, yet.  When I saw her last week, she had so much to tell me, but the words just didn't come out.  She seemed very happy to see me, and lit up when she saw Master K.

It saddens me that Master K will never know his Great-Gramma.  She is a wonderful lady.  I'm so glad a had a nice visit with her during Free Comic Book Day weekend.  We sat visiting like we used to and Master K cuddled and rocked with her for about 20 minutes.  A good memory to have.

No comments: