Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I hope justice prevails

I started getting the newspaper (again) last week. I had previously cancelled sometime ago, because I was tired of reading about all the violent crimes that occur in our city.

As I was flipping through today's paper, I came upon a very interesting article.

Some of you may know that I was selected to be a juror on a murder trial.

It was an exhausting process and definitely had an affect on me mentally and emotionally.

So....I was a little surprised when I read about the man who we found guilty, was getting a new trial. link

This bothers me on a few different levels:
1. Economically - more strain on our system and, what seems like a waste, of the taxpayers money
2. Emotionally - I went through a lot mentally and emotionally to be part of the trial; seeing and hearing things no one should ever have to.
3. Lack of faith in our justice system - Although the article discusses the lack of instruction to the jury from the judge - being that I sat on the trial, I'm going to have to disagree with a number of the reasons in the article.
4. Safety - to know that the individual you convicted of murder is getting a new trial is a little unsettling - especially if he is found not guilty.

However, I'm glad the new trial has been granted on the reasons that it has, and not on the evidence. This gives me confidence in the fact that a new jury should be able to conclude the same verdict as we did.

I do feel honoured to serve our justice system - but when things like this happen - it eats away at the faith I have in justice and our system.

No comments: